Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I am recovering from a right side 9th rib fracture incurred

I am recovering from a right side 9th rib fracture incurred from restraining a 110 pound emotionally disturbed child. The rib has just about healed but I am experiencing extreme bloating/swelling of the upper abdomin whenever I bend or exert lung capacity from moderate exercise. I also have an unwell feel, my eyes ache and I experience nausea in conjunction to the abdominal bloating. A ct scan showed normal liver and gallbladder while searching for a cause for extreme right side pain. An xray did not confirm a rib fracture but a bone scan showed a hot spot in the 9th rib. Could I have a hernia? Do you think my symtoms reflect a hernia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a bulge in that area that you can easily press down?

Or is this pain reproducible if you press on the rib itself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For the first month, the pain was significant when I pressed on the affected rib. But now I'm into my 6th week since the injury and the rib no longer hurts. But the swelling in my abdomin, nausea and sore eyes persist. I feel much better after I lay down and rest. Then it starts all over again when I do a lot of bending. I'm very active athletically and never had a physical problem prior to restraining this child. He was violent and I restrained him in a standing position, arms across his chest holding his arms andleaning back on my right front hip area.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
It seems unlikely that pain in that area, along with an absence of a bulge makes the cause of the pain a hernia.

It is also hard to associate abdominal swelling, nausea, and sore eyes to a rib fracture (pain in the rib, perhaps some trouble with taking deep breaths are associated with rib fractures).

The pains that can come from healing rib fractures can come from the nerve that runs right underneath each rib (and very sensitive) so a lot of the pain can come from irritation of that nerve due to the swelling in the area of a healing fracture.

However, the other symptoms you describe: abdominal swelling, nausea, sore eyes are unrelated, and it seems that your doctors have been fully evaluating you for those symptoms (with the MRI, chest xray, blood work). Pain from healing rib fractures can take a while to improve, so hopefully your pain will continue to improve over the next several weeks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm just trying to be proactive.... The doctors I've met in my quest for better health were great, but seperate. First the walk-in clinic, then my regular GP and then the Workman's Comp. doctor and the Gyn. Doctor. Before starting my quest again for optomin health I thought I cruise the internet. When I plugged in my symtons, hernia the forgotten symton appeared. Then I recalled my father had a hernia and my daughter had a bilateral inguinal hernia operation 20 years ago, when she was four. so I thought maybe that's my problem.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
It's good that you are researching possibilities and being responsible for your health!

But hernias are typically noticed as a palpable (meaning you can feel it) lump, and in the case of inguinal hernias, located near the groin folds.

It would be rare to have a hernia in the upper abdomen, though if there was injury or surgery, it could happen, though 1) it probably would have been noted on the imaging you had and 2) up toward the 9th rib is very high for a hernia to occur, probably too high (the abdominal contents are lower than this).
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery