Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

What can you do for a person choking on liquid who cannot

What can you do for a person choking on liquid who cannot breathe?
Are they choking at this moment?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Of course not. It has happened to me several times; once last night. A friend thought I was choking on food, and did the Heimlich, which was no help at all.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not realize you were the patient.

The first thing is that you need to see a doctor to establish if there is any problem with your swallowing reflex. If liquid is entering the windpipe rather than the esophagus then this can cause the problem you experience and aside from suction, there is no intervention that can help at that time. If there is aspiration, then you may need to have fluids thickened to prevent this from happening again. Continual aspiration of fluids will lead to an aspiration pneumonia which can be difficult to treat.

So if the problem is a new onset, or there are any other changes such as problems with speech/thinking or movement then get a neurological assessment at ER or urgent care. Otherwise you will need to see a doctor to discuss investigation of this problem.