Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

I have clear mucus that comes out of my rectum about 3 or 4

I have clear mucus that comes out of my rectum about 3 or 4 times a week and each time it happens it only does it 1 or 2 times and it happens when I pass gas and then I feel the need to eliminate the mucus (which is only about the amount of a nickel) and does not have any color to it. I do not have regular bowel movements - maybe every other day and it is not but a small amounts. I do not want to have the light run up in me - can you tell me what this is. I'm 35 years old female
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

The mucus is most likely related to spasm in your rectum causing increased secretion of mucus. You may also have an irritation around the anus that can secrete mucus. There is however a type of polyp that can occur in the rectum called a villous adenoma which can secrete mucus. This can vary from a small amount to a very large amount that can cause losses of potassium. I doubt that you have this however you should get it checked by a doctor. He may be able to just do a rectal exam with his finger but he may suggest that you have a colonoscopy to look up into the rectum.

Please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am scared of doctor and this is why I'm asking this over the internet. Do you think it is anything - it has been doing this since the summer but sometimes it will not happened all week then it will happen the next week?

Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
hello,
my answer is still the same. I don't think this is anything serious. We cannot cure things over the Internet but only make what we feel based on our knowledge and experience are appropriate and responsible recommendations and explanations. I suggest you see your doctor but of course if you don't wish to do that that is up to you.

I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this.
If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry.