Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

what can go wrong after gall bladder surgery to cause chronic

what can go wrong after gall bladder surgery to cause chronic waves of pain in the back that will not go away I have been back several times to the hospital tested for this and that nothing is taking away this constant pain its been over 3 months and I cannot function
hello,

Normal gallbladder surgery does not leave the patient in pain for over three months like you describe. It either is something that was done incorrectly during surgery such as a bile duct being cut and your having a tiny leak or this is not related to the gallbladder surgery. That would be unusual because you did not have the pain prior. I would recommend asking your doctor if an ERCP might be indicated to look for a tiny leak in the bile duct system.

Please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what is a ercp? The surgeon who done the surgery would not even see me for follow up, saying my pain had nothing to do with his surgery, and your right I had no back pain or pain like this prior.

An ERCP is a procedure where they pass an endoscope down to your duodenum and put a catheter where the bile duct drains and inject dye. By injecting the dye and taking x-rays they can see if the bile duct system is normal or if there is any narrowing or a leak. This is a specialized procedure that certain gastroenterologists do.

Thank you