Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have had a sharp pain that goes right through my chest on

I have had a sharp pain that goes right through my chest on the left side I took prednisone 50mg for 10 days and it went away completely two weeks later it came back. This has been happening on and off for 6 months I thought is was back pain but my doctor says no . I have had chest x-rays my blood pressure is always very good 100/70 good pulse no other symptoms. Currently taking 10mg of presnesone for the next 60 days the pain is still there but very slight
Hi there and thanks for the visiting JA today...

What your question this evening? Are you wondering what is causing your back pain/chest pain?

I see that you are offline, I will check back in later to see if you've responded.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am curious as to possible causes and the affect of taking prednisone
Hi there

Prednisone can cause insomnia, headaches, and stomach upset with short term use, but long term use can an increase in infections, cataracts, high blood pressure, fluid retention, weight gain, acne, and others.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was looking more for the possible causes of the chest pain
Ok, so you were thinking maybe the prednisone might be the cause? Or just wanted to know the side effects of prednisone?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had a very sharp pain that is on the left side of my chest and goes right through my back initially I thought it was back pain my doctor originally treated me for acid reflux in my esophagus this did nothing so he tried prednisone this immediately eliminated the pain when the prednisone was done he switched me to indomethacin after two weeks the pain returned he then put me on prednisone at a much lower level 10mg VS 50mg this is for 60 days first prescription off 50mg was for ten days. Just looking for second opinion if you think I am on the right track. I have had chest x-rays that looked good
Costochondritis may be the usually causes chest wall pain and will affect either the left or the right. It can cause pain when taking a deep breath, pain when coughing, difficulty breathing, and affects people mainly over the age of 40. I'll include a link for you to take a look at...
Additionally, Costochondritis will not show up on a chest xray and prednisone will help. Not saying that is what you have exactly, but from what I am reading, it sounds an aweful lot like it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the only variable I see idffering is that it has been occurring on and off for about 6 months it does not address this in the discription bujt other wise it cetainly sounds similar