sarahfnp-bc
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.
8719088

I took a diet pill called phentermine 37.5 mg this morning

I took a diet pill called phentermine 37.5 mg this morning by mistake i want to know if this will show on a drug test as speed or some other that i could fail the test i have worked for my company for 22 years and i dont want to lose my job please let me know if this will show as speed or if this may make me fail the test
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 7 years ago.
Hi Golfer,

Thanks for the question. Phentermine will show up under amphetamines of most drug tests. If you have a prescription for it, than it's o.k. Did you take a drug test today? Or are you expecting to take one soon?

Phentermine has a relatively shorter half life so should be out of your system within about 4 to five days maximum. Usually if you take only one and have a relatively speedy metabolism it's out of the system in about two to three days.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sarah

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i did is this some kind of speed or what. what is amphetmines
Hey Golfer.

You took the drug test today? And what time did you take the phentermine?

It's a diet pill that is considered a controlled substance by the DEA. Which means you have to have a prescription for it.

If you took only one early in the morning and then tested 24 hours later there is a slim chance you will test negative. But unlikely. The test is initially positive and then sent to a certified lab for further testing to confirm the positive. This further testing will show exactly what you took. So it will confirm phentermine was in your system. At that point a medical review officer will contact you to ask if you have a prescription for this medication.

Most companies don't outright fire people for a positive. They may have a contract program that will allow you to be tested more frequently or you can ask to go to treatment in exchange for formal disciplinary action.