Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Does the levonorgestrel in the Mirena cause high blood pressure

Customer Question

Does the levonorgestrel in the Mirena cause high blood pressure? I am thinking of having the Mirena due to heavy menstrual cycles. But I have high blood pressure and the pill has affected it badly before. My Doctor said that the estrogen in the pill is what caused the high blood pressure, and that progesterone products will not cause high blood pressure. But in researching online, many websites clearly state that you should not use the Mirena or use it with caution if you have high blood pressure. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Common side effects of Mirena include bleeding. However it has been seen to raise blood pressure in a small percentage of cases. Please read this resource too.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please ask.