Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

WHAT DOES MILD WALL THICKENING INVOLVING SEGMENTS OF ILEUM

Customer Question

WHAT DOES "MILD WALL THICKENING INVOLVING SEGMENTS OF ILEUM IN THE RIGHT LOWER QUADRANT MEAN IN CT FINDINGS OF ABDOMEN AND PELVIS WITH CONTRAST."
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

Mild wall thickening in the Ileum usually refers to an inflammatory process. The most common would be Crohn's disease, an inflammation of the small bowel. Certain infiltrative diseases may also cause thickening of the Ileum. Your doctor may want to do a small bowel series with particular attention to the terminal Ileum. This is the accurate way to diagnose Crohn's disease. Also a colonoscopy might be able to reach the area of the Ilium in question and biopsies may be helpful. Ileal thickening may also occur in a small percentage of right sided colon cancers.

If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. If you are not satisfied, please ask for further clarification of your original question. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry.