Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I have pain in my right shoulder when I raise my arm to the

I have pain in my right shoulder when I raise my arm to the side also mild tingling/numbness in my little finger. if I assist in raising my arm with my left arm, no pain. i am suspecting rotator cuff.?? what kind of treatments can I provide myself for this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.

Since when do you have these symptoms?

Did you had any injury or anything that may have triggered the symptoms?

Do you also feel weakness in the muscles required for lifting the arm to the side?

Does the numbness/tingling in the finger occur only when lifting the arm, or at any time?

Dr Singh
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

symptom have been present for about six weeks, (I've been hoping it will go away)

have had no surgeries, numbness all the time and it is very minor but noticeable.

had pain about before and it went away. had an mri about a year ago, and Doc said "bursitis".

I don't really notice much if any weakness other than a reluctance to want to raise my arm for fear of causing pain.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I should also mention that I've had no injuries that I can recall, however I was carying shingle bundles on my shouder the day prior to the onset of the pain .
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
     An MRI would have picked up any rotator cuff tear or injury if present. So a more likely cause is injury or strain to the deltoid muscle that helps lift the arm sideways. Subacromial bursitis or tendonitis is another likely cause. So a proper treatment at this stage should include rest for the shoulder joint with possibly a shoulder sling. Continue with the anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen 600 mg two to three times a day, and heat application. Ice packs are not needed now unless you see visible inflammation or swelling or you had a recent injury. Drink plenty of fluids and see an orthopedist for examination.     

He can examine you and decide if another X-ray or MRI scan is needed. Local intrabursal steroid injections can be given for rapid relief, once bursitis is confirmed. Complete removal of inflamed bursae by surgery is required in some causes. You will also need neurological examination to look for any ulnar nerve injury which may be the cause of numbness in the little finger.

Dr Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.