Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

For the last couple months my nose will hurt and crust will

For the last couple months my nose will hurt and crust will form inside my nose and when i blow it or remove it my nose bleeds and then it re crust again can you tell me why?

Dear Sheba,

Thanks for using Justanswer for your concern.

Often this sort of problem occurs at this time of year, if you are indoors with a heater on. The mucus membranes can become overly dry. A humidifier is helpful in this case. One can be bought, or you can use a pan of water on the stove, kept at low. A humidifier is useful.

You may want to make sure you are gettin enough fluids as well. Plain water, lightly flavored with lemon or lime is healthy.

I can give you additional information if needed. Does this fit your case? Seeing that you are in Florida, I am not sure if you would be indoors with a heater on.

Let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for replying so fast well it is mostly warm here and i don't use the heat lol.I am getting a bit worried since my nose gets so crusty inside it hurts so i need to remove crust and when i do it bleeds a little.this has never happened to me before and i am starting to think it could be something serious.

How long has it been going on?

Is it dry in your area, very low humidity?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>Its been going on for 6-7 weeks and this time of year it is not so humid its been much more dryer low humidity.</p>

It may very likely be due to low humidity, and you may be less hydrated than you realize.

I really recommend a humdifier, as well as drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day. This will help this most likely, I've seen this problem much in hospitals, etc. When the mucosa of the nose gets too dry from either air or dehydration, this is a common occurence.

See this article about humidifers, I am not suggesting you buy one from the web page, but the information is explanatory and may help you to understand:

http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Why-Humidify-Health-Experts-Weigh-In.html

The ideas on this page will be helpful too, even if you don't have sinusitis:

http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/NaturalRemediesforSinusitis.html

Does this make sense? Let me know what you think.