Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

i have a red some times itchy red bump on my shaft of my penis.

Customer Question

i have a red some times itchy red bump on my shaft of my penis. it will not go away and two doctors looked at it one was a dermatologist they both dont know what do i do
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for approaching justAnswer with your concern. Please provide the following info so that I can assist you better.

1. How long have you had the bump?
  2. Is it single?
  3. Is it growing or remaining same?
  4. It will help if you could post a picture of the bump:

Here is how to insert the pic here:

1. First Step is to save the pic to your computer and then reduce the size of the pic to 'web large' size in microsoft picture manager(640 x 480)

2. Then save it onto the desktop.

3. Click the green tree > Click Browse> Click Browse again> choose the pic>Click OK(this is important) > Click Insert.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its been on my penis for two weeks. its just one bump in that area. but i have had other bumps on my skin that are itchy that have shown up all arond the same time. i've only have had sex once. the dermotoligest gave me olux-e it help my itchy spots on my stomach but not the one on my shaft graphic

Is the itching more during night?

Any other family members/friends/colleagues have had itchy bumps on their body?

Do you still have the itchy bumps on other areas of the body?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it does not itch any more but it does not look any smaller. none of my roommates have complained and the docter checked for bugs and he found none. does it look like an std?

It seems like Nodular Scabies, caused by the itch mite Ascaris scabei.

Sometimes you can get single nodules like this on the penis and a few other bumps on the body. It could be transmitted thru sexual contact as well as other intimate contacts.

The mite burrows in deeper on the penis and scrotum and could be difficult to reach. Hence, reducing the thickness thru initial application of topical steroid followed by antiscabetic medication is preferred. Stll it may take a few weeks to get rid of the bump.

Here is what you can do:

1. Apply hydrocortisone 1% cream twice daily for 3-4 days
  2. Apply 5% Permethrin Cream to the whole body below neck at bedtime and wash off in the morning(once only).
  3. Continue applying the permethrin cream to the nodule only daily at night for 3-4 days.
  4. Repeat after one week if necessary.
  5. If still not going after two weeks, you nay require intralesional injection of steroid to reduce the size.

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor.