Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

Would blood work show if you had a blood clot What about Blood

Customer Question

Would blood work show if you had a blood clot? What about Blood pressure? If RBC and WBC and platlets where all normal, and blood pressure is normal, does that mean you don't have a blood clot?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Those tests that you mention do not look for blood clots, nor are they generally changed with a blood clot.

The specific test for looking for blood clots in the legs is called a venogram; another test which is used is called a doppler venous ultrasound to look for evidence of blood clots in the veins of the leg.

If the concern is for a blood clot in the lung, tests which are used are a V/Q scan, CT Angiography of the Chest, or a pulmonary arteriogram.

The one blood test which is not-specific for a blood clot, but is nearly always elevated in clots is called a CRP, or C-reactive protein. However, if you have a high CRP, it does not necessarily mean you have a blood clot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About one weeks ago I have a D-Dimer 1.0 [<1.0 high negative, >1.0 low positive] and then i took it again a few days later and it was 1.3, CT Scan of chest with contrast, chest Xray, and ultrasound of my left leg. But my right leg is hurting now when i apply pressure on it. Does that mean they could have missed somthing for do these tests pretty much prove I dont
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Sorry - yes, due to me being tired from surgery today, CRP and D-Dimer are both used in detection of the DVT; and the D-Dimer test is actually a little bit better for evaluation of the clot (the same caveats noted above apply, however).

At the time of your previous tests, I think they pretty much conclusively ruled out a possible clot as best they could have.

Of course, that's not to say you could have developed a clot in the interm, but there are plenty of things that can cause pain in the leg, including injury, muscle strain, lumbar nerve irritation in the back, etc.

Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alright, thanks. Is there anything i should watch for, another symptom, that will also show if it is a DVT?

It might be my back. i pulled my muscle below my shoulder on my left side. but the pain is the right and this is a day later. Not sure. Ill keep an eye on it.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
There really aren't any specific symptoms that can tell you for certainty that these is a DVT.

However, pain, swelling of the leg, tenderness, redness, (along with a history of DVTs, injury, surgery, cancer) all can raise suspicion for clots. So yes, keep an eye on it, and should other symptoms/signs arise, it may be worth reexamining it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, one more thing. Do you have to have a deep cut or somthing to get a deadly blood clot? Like, would Them taking blood or IV cause deadly blood clots? Or does it have to be somthing like surgery?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
No, you don't have to have a deep injury to get a blood clot.

People can develop blood clots from inactivity, like being trapped in your airline seat for 6 hours. Or surgery, in particular with hip and knee replacements, but also any surgery where your legs are just lying there - as the blood pools in the legs, it can form clots.

Of course, most of the time it doesn't just form clots since the blood is always moving back toward the heart.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For DVT, is the pain constant or only when walking or laying?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Most people will say it is tender when touched, or with walking.

Some people have pain even with resting.

However, it may even be pain free, and just be swollen, and red over the area.