DR RANDALL
DR RANDALL, Doctor
Experience:  GENERAL SURGEON/SURGICAL INTENSIVIST
13402920

are their any problems with induction hobs for pace makers

are their any problems with induction hobs for pace maker users. Is there a safe distance that will permit safe use
Customer

I want to make sure you did not misspell "hobs". Or at least explain what you are talking about. Unless this is a purely English item there is no such thing as "hob" that has anything to do with pacer devices!?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In British English a "hob" refers to the hotplate on a cooker. In this case the heat is generated by Magnatism. Manufacturers such as Seimens sell both cookers and hobs 'hotplates' fitted with induction heating rings. Google has plenty of info if you want to read more
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In all cases where "impulse hobs " appear substitute with inductionhobs
Sorry for any hinderance cause

Thank you Derek,

I do not speak British! Hobs is not in the medical literarture but household appliances and cooktops are. The following comes from Medscape.com for physicians. I do not know if it is available on WEBMD which is the public version. This is referenced to these articles which you can find:

• Goldschlager, N, Epstein, A, Friedman, P, et al. Environmental and Drug Effects on Patients With Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter/Defibrillators: A Practical Guide to Patient Treatment. Arch Intern Med 2001; 161:649.
  • Irnich, W, Bernstein, AD. Do induction cooktops interfere with cardiac pacemakers?. Europace 2006; 8:377.
  •  

This is what the abstract has to say:

Although there are no studies that have systematically evaluated the effect of household microwave energy on implanted devices, it is widely accepted that contemporary pacemakers and ICDs are adequately shielded from microwave energy produced by modern appliances [3]. Pacemaker manufacturers do not recommend any special precautions when using common household appliances, such as televisions, radios, toasters, microwave ovens, and electric blankets. As new appliances reach the market that use a new or different energy source, the appliances need to be tested to determine whether there is any potential for device interference.

There are circumstances in which a device may be affected by specific sources of energy under narrow circumstances. This was illustrated in a study assessing the potential for induction cooktops to interfere with pacemaker function. Patients with a unipolar, left-sided implant could experience interference if the pot was not concentrically placed on the induction coil and if the patient stood as close as possible to the cooktop. The most common response to interference was a reset to an asynchronous interference mode [4]. Most contemporary devices utilize bipolar pacing.

This means for you, if you have a late model pacer and/or a dual limb leads you have nothing to worry about. If your pacer is before the year 2001 and/or you have a single lead then the pot needs to completely cover your hob and you need to avoid getting too close. No matter how old your device is they all have a default mode so you will never be left exposed to slow heart rates that will kill you but the device will not function properly if left in the default mode.

If you are worried maybe for Christmas you can get a new stove?

I hope this answer helps you. And if it does please hit the "ACCEPT" button.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Your question has been answered to the best of my abilities using years of practice and/or medical references. You should never substitute medical information gathered on the internet for a face-to-face meeting with a physician. I am here to help, but I encourage you to seek help from a physician in your area.