Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I just started taking Xanax today and I forgot to ask my doctor

I just started taking Xanax today and I forgot to ask my doctor if I could take it with other prescriptions I have through other physicians. I've already taken a good amount and I want to know if I can now take 125mg of Doxepin and herbal sleeping remedies before bed? Also, can it be taken with Doxycycline 100mg and Finasteride 5mg?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

What dose of xanax are you taking?

Do you ever drink alcohol?

what herbal products do you use?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took 4 .5mg pills throught out the day of Xanax. And the herbal medicines are Theanine Serene and Herbal Medicine Deep Sleep. I haven't consumed any alcohol today. But I do drink on occasion. I was mainly worried about combinding high dosages of Xanax with 125mg of Doxepin because of it's drousy effect? I just want to be cautious. I've just heard stories of people dying in their sleep with prescription drugs mixed with Xanax.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

You are correct to be cautious. I would be worried about the amount of xanax that you are taking with the doxepin as the risk of drowsiness is high.

You should certainly not mix any alcohol with this combination.

Can i ask why you have taken this amount of xanax? What did the doctor suggest?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have extremely bad panic attacks from Fibromyagia and bad Anxiety that genitically runs in my family. Recently, I've been feeling like I'm going to die the panic attacks are so bad. He also gave me Zoloff but I haven't tried it yet. I was told I could take up to 3 pills of xanax throughout the day. And it was much needed because even after two .5 of xanax I still recieved a panic attack. I'm skeptical of the zoloff because it seems like an antideppresant and Im not depressed. Plus, I used to use lyrica and I didn't like it after a while and I went off. I just have incredible anxiety. Thanks for your input and interest. If you have any thoughts or ideas to this reply please let me know I'll still be up. But it is okay to take the doxepin tonight?
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

I would certainly start the Zoloft, when used every day it works to reduce anxiety and panic attacks (as well as antidepressant for those people with depression). Once you are stable then you should find the panic attack frequency lessens. Xanax is only a short term solution because you will develop tolerance and find that to get the same effect, you end up having to take increased doses,.

In terms of taking the doxepin, you can take it if it is more than four or five hours since the last xanax, otherwise I would be concerned about the level of drowsiness. And tonight avoid the herbal products too.

the doxycycline and finasteride are fine.

technically the books do not mention an interaction with xanax and doxepin but they both cause drowsiness so it makes sense not to mix within a short period.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You don't have to answer this because you've already been so helpful and generous but can one overdose from a mixture of xanax and doxepin cosumed to closely together on a timely basis? Or xanax and alcohol? And is xanax destructive to the mind or body if taken over a long period of time? I'll pay another $9.00 if you have the answer to these questions. Your credentials are strong and I appreciate your timely efforts so much.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Yes, an overdose of xanax and doxepin is possible depending on quantity taken and the underlying health of the patient. However in a healthy adult, then it is possible to use xanax and doxepin at the same time depending on the dose used. The drowsiness cannot be quantified, so you should not drive or operate machinery when taking these combination.

Xanax and alcohol is certainly not a good combination, and xanax will cause addiction when taken regularly for a period of time. That is why, I suggest people use the smallest dose possible to relieve their symptoms and look for long term alternatives.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.