Dr AW
Dr AW, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with hospital experience as SHO in a wide variety of fields
12248854

I am a 50 year old caucasion male. My resting heart rate seems

I am a 50 year old caucasion male. My resting heart rate seems to be around 85 to 106 bpm. Is this something I should be concerned about? I quit smoking 6 months ago. I smoked for 35 years. I try to stay active. How can I do to reduce my heart rate? I have no pain or shortness of breath.

Your resting heart rate range is slightly on the high side, but is not worryingly high.

By definition heart rate above 100 is considered fast (tachycardiac). However often self measurement can be inaccurate as people anxious regarding their heart rate will result in their anxiety elevating this rate. One would aim for a resting heart rate of 60 - 80.

Actually stopping smoking was the best change you could have made towards your cardiovascular health.

The risk factors for cardiac disease are smoking, family history, diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, obesity, sedentry lifestyle.

Regular exercise is advisable. Initially in patients we generally advise walking 30 minutes a day, the amount of exercise and intensity should be gradually built up. This in itself over time will lead to an improved resting heart rate and also improve general fitness and protect cardiovascular health.

Having a cardiovascular health screen, testing for diabetes and cholesterol and treating if needed would be a good idea. Depending on what is found you may be given medication to treat this and possibly an antiplatelet drug like aspirin to help prevent coronary events. Checking BP and antihypertensives if hypertensive would also be carried out on cardivascular health screen.

Your doctor will also check your pulse and may perform an ECG to check if they are concerned about any possible abnormality or sometimes as part of the screen.

In someone with your history but developing chest pain/ shortness of breath on exertion one would definitely perform ECG and an exercise ECG to look for signs of coronary artery ischaemia requiring intervention.

I hope this information is useful, feel free to reply for any clarification