TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

my belly button in and around is sore when i touch it and some times its a bit red

Customer Question

does anyone know why it could be i have had ct scans but nothing has come up ???
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 7 years ago.
Hi jamie-

Is it ever red/ inflamed?
When it hurts you, how long does it last? and does it settle down on its own without any medicine?
Have you tried any specific topical therapies?
Any other health problems?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
now and again it is red around the belly button but only that happens is i keep touching it. the pain is always there if i touch it, it does now and again go but most of the time its there. i have not taken any medicine for it because i dont know what it is. i have been back and forward for hospital i had a few scans but nothing has shown but as time go on it can hurt when i bend. no health problems. i only know most of the time its there is i touch it cause its very tender
Has a doctor ever examined you when it was red?
Is your pain in your abdomen at times when it is not red?
In other words did doctors do the CT scan because they thought there was a problem in your abdominal cavity, and not just at the belly button?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no not when its red its hardly ever red unless i keep touching it. the pain is there when its not red it hurts inside the belly button and about 1cm around mainly at the bottom and the top of the belly button it was always at the bottom of it but lately its been at the top to. im not 100% sure why they did it and what they were looking for i had a thing done yesterday where they put a camera up my bum to check the bladder was ok once again bit confused why as its not links to the belly button???

OK. well it sounds like the belly butto redness may not be related to the pain you describe--
There are obviously many causes of abdominal pain in the center of the abdomen ( near the belly button). I assume then the CT scan and the scope was done to investigate your colon and other internal organs.

I would advise you discuss the results with your doctor- any abnormality in your pancreas, liver, or bowel. A colonoscopy only shows the large intestine, and so if your pain continues you may need your upper bowel investigated - by an upper endoscopy or a pill endoscopy.

I would advise you to see a gastroenterologist as this is the specialist who can best sort this out.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is a upper endoscopy or a pill endoscopy a tube down your throat, could what i may have be serious do you think?i have had this nearly 3 months i think but it has got worse slowly.
The upper endoscopy is a tube down your throat.It can look at your esophagus, stomach and duodenum( only the top part of the small intestine)
The pill endoscopy is a pill with a miniature camera that you swallow and takes pictures of your upper bowel and entire small intestine.

If it is getting worse then I would advise you proceed with further investigatins- Obviously, unfortunately it is hard for me to say if it is serious before a diagnosis is made. It may be something minor, but worseninig pain is always a cause for some concern.

Good luck.

Please press "accept" or let me know if you have further questions.