Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States

what does blood in stool look like I just had a bowel movement

Customer Question

what does blood in stool look like? I just had a bowel movement and it looked like my entire poop was covered in rust. Touching it with a paper towel, it wiped away.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Blood in the stool can have several appearances depending on where it is coming from. It can be black as tar if it is coming from the stomach. It can be a dark burgundy if it is coming from the beginning of the large bowel. It can be red or bright red if it is coming from the lower portion of the bowel or in the rectum or from hemorrhoids. There can also be blood streaking of the stool where the blood is just found on the surface of the stool. You described your stool as rust colored. To me this is a dark orange color and would not be typical for the appearance of blood. It may represent something you have eaten but if it persists then you should have it checked by your doctor.

Please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was a dark red. and im cramping and nausa
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you for clarifying. are you having large amounts of blood in your stool or just a small amount and the rest normal brown colored stool?
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Can you reply as I am signing off soon and want to give you the proper advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, i went to the hospital just to make sure. They did an ultrasound on my organs and the ultrasound was extremly painful around the gallbladder. They told me I need to see a specialist, they think it might be gallbaldder stones.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Hello Again

thank you for the follow-up. I wondered what happened before I went off line. I am glad you went to the hospital as bleeding can be very serious. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
was wondering if you had any ideas though on my pain? Would Gastilitis cause this? Im very gasy (burping constantly), pains in my abdoman, upper mostly, and nausa. The blood was a new factor and they told me i could have had a hemeroid. To answer your previous question, the stool was covered in a dark red rust color and the stool it self had a brown redish tent, like clay mud. I have had a bowel movement since then. but they gave me stool softner at the hospital. The Ultrasound came back normal but the pain from it said sometimes it misses gallbladder stones and thatswhat i might back. I need to see a GI
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
* I have not had a bowel movement since then
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

since I have answered your original question and you have accepted you may re- post and ask another question regarding your pain and nausea. If you do, provide as much information as you can.If you would like for me to address this problem you may ask for me by name in your question.