Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I fell on my tailbone. nothing broken, what should i do to

I fell on my tailbone. nothing broken, what should i do to ease the discomfort?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

If you haven't done so already, you really should see a doctor and have an x-ray done to determine if a fracture has occurred. The only definitive way to know is to get an x-ray done. You have pain when you are sitting and you may also have pain when you walk and when you have a bowel movement. If it's broken, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to heal. A bruised tailbone may take several days to several weeks to completely heal. Treatment usually entails using a donut type cushion to sit on. You can also use an ice pack for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days or until the pain goes away. Your doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatories or pain medications. Drink plenty of fluids and increase the amount of fiber in your diet to prevent constipation while your tailbone is healing.