Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

What is the cause of sour-smelling urine It seems worse when

What is the cause of sour-smelling urine? It seems worse when I don't drink enough water, but that is not it entirely.
HelloCustomer

Sour smelling urine can be from quite a number of factors, ranging from things as innocuous as what we eat (asparagus can make urine smell sour) to a urine infection that creates the odor. While most urine infections are accompanied by pain and discomfort while urinating, certainly not all are. Also, imabalances in body chemistry (like ketones in the urine; products of muscle breakdown) can create different smells to urine.

It makes sense it smells less when you drink more because the urine is more dilute with the added water.

I suggest a doctors appointment to evaluate this, as it could indicate a potential urine infection. And blood work can be tested if your provider feels it needed to check for other chemical imbalances.

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan