Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

Seventeen days ago I had unprotected sex with a man I really

Seventeen days ago I had unprotected sex with a man I really don't know that well- and today I broke out in a rash that started on my stomach and is spreading all over my trunk and to my arms. I was reading about a high percentage of people getting a rash when they seroconvert to hiv and I am afraid that that is what is happening.

Hello Risa,

I am happy to help you.

Are you running a fever?

Have a sore throat?

Any stomach problems?

Thank you ,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No - none of those things at this time

Obviously you have done your homework.

It is possible that you are seroconverting BUT it is totally possible that you have a viral infection that is causing the rash or ezcema.

I suggest you go to your doctor tomorrow for diagnosis.

He can test your blood and also give you something for the rash while you are waiting for the results.

I know this is scary but rashes can happen for so many reasons you really need to get the test done to know for sure.

I wouldn't do you any justice if I didn't mention to be safe next time.

Best Wishes to you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can it just be an allergic reaction to something?
What are the chances of getting hiv from one encounter?
He is 50 and a widower and raised 2 girls on his own- I knew he had a vasectomy so I didnt use protection- but now I realize I don't know much else about him- and he won't answer my calls even just to see if he knows his hiv status

It can be an allergic reaction and you can try putting some hydrocortisone cream 1% on it 2x a day to see if that helps.

You can get hiv from just one encounter.

It is also possible to not get hiv the first sexual encounter with a person but contract it on say the 3rd encounter.

The problem is is that unless some is in full blown AIDS you wouldn't suspect that they could have it.

If you are having unprotected sex you do need to be tested.

Take care,