Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Yes, my dad is with hospice. Now I hear you cant get physical

Customer Question

Yes, my dad is with hospice. Now I hear you can't get physical therapy for him, since he's with hospice. His wife says that he's not able to undergo physical therapy. Is there any way I could hire a PT to come out to his home and give him bedside physical therapy? I just want to know for sure that I have exhausted all of my options before I give up. She holds the cards as far as insurance goes, but I am willing to pay out of pocket for a physical therapist to come out, but can you hire a private one, meaning without going through a healthcare office, etc... My father desperately needs something otherwise just laying there wasting away, and he has kidney dysfunction, however if he got therapy he would have the chance to get dialysis later. That is my really big concern, and being an only child, and having his mother and wife against me, they get really mad when I mention therapy and it makes no sense, give him opportunity. Please help, and my dad is at home, and not in a facili
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Yes. Home physical therapy can be hired. Obviously it would be expenses not reimbursed by the insurance. You need to go to a physical therapy center in your area. You can talk to physical therapist there. They would arrange somebody to come to home. Most of the physical therapist are trained to make a good enough exercise protocol on their own.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you hire a PT without going through a service, let's say I know one, could I just hire tha person without going through a service? I didn't know due to a liability, and will the home therapy business come out to the home without having doctor referrals?

Yes, this can be done in many states. In some states they can practice and are licensed to work independently. You will have to go and ask the physical therapist themselves about this. In this case you don't have to go through the referral from his treating physician. If you are unable to find that, for a stroke patient, even home physical therapy recommendation can be easily attained by the treating physician.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun