DR RANDALL
DR RANDALL, Doctor
Experience:  GENERAL SURGEON/SURGICAL INTENSIVIST
13402920

I am a 62 year old female who has had breast cancer in 2004

Customer Question

I am a 62 year old female who has had breast cancer in 2004 and then in 2006 I was diagnosed with AML lukemia. I had to undergo high doses of chemo and went into remission in 2007. Then I fell and broke my hip in 3 places and had to have emergency surgery. Since then my lukemia came out of remission. The doctors tell me I only have a 40% chance that it would even take again. I have been getting blood and platelets almost every week if not every two weeks. How long can I keep doing this? Also my white blood count keeps rising? is there anything I can take or eat that will bring it down? My mouth and tongue hurt me all the time is there anything I can do for it? My tongue feels like I have a yeast infection on it. But I can't see anything on it. It just pains and burns.   I don't know what to do. They say my age is against me.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR RANDALL replied 5 years ago.

GreetingsCustomer

My goodness you have had a run of bad luck! You case is difficult and the ability to help you over the internet is limited.

"How long can you do this?" Well the sad answer is as long as the cancer is controlled. If the cancer is uncontrolable then transfusions stop and your are enrolled in a hospice program.

Your age is not a hindrance! There should be more chemo to offer. They should enroll you in a chemo trial. You should ask about bone marrow transplant.

The fractured hip and the breast cancer may go together I hope they have ruled this association out. But the fractured hip and the loss of remission is more likely a coincidence than a cause and effect situation.

For your mouth complaints there is a formula called magic mouthwash. Your doctor can give this to you. And your doctor can check your mouth for other pathology. AML is associated with mucous membrane diseases.

I hope you have had a full mastectomy if the return cancer is in the same breast. The lack of or the perceived lack of control for the breast cancer may make therapy for the leukemia more difficult.

If your white count is climbing this may mean the AML has transmuted into CLL a chronic form of the disease. Or you have an infection that needs to be delt with immediately!

Customeryou need to see a doctor and you need to see one ASAP! These issues and resolution of them will never be dealt with over the internet. Use the internet to gain information from the leukemia and breast cancer websites. I suggest you start with this one: http://www.nccn.org/patients/default.asp

You have many problems and you must be your best advocate. Do not sit idle. Find your doctors and make them help you or give you answers or refer to someone who can help. Call around to trials and see if your a candidate. These sites can only give you shallow answers. You need to be seen personally by a physician you are close to.

Best of luckCustomer/p>

I hope this answer helps you. And if it does please hit the "ACCEPT" button.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Your question has been answered to the best of my abilities using years of practice and/or medical references. You should never substitute medical information gathered on the internet for a face-to-face meeting with a physician. I am here to help, but I encourage you to seek help from a physician in your area.