DR RANDALL
DR RANDALL, Doctor
Experience:  GENERAL SURGEON/SURGICAL INTENSIVIST

all started years ago I had unexplained meningitis

Customer Question

i am miserable and fatigued and am in pain I am a L&D nurse and my pain is starting to interfere with work. I can sleep for 24 hours straight and still feel not rested and fatigued. This all started years ago I had unexplained meningitis. A few months after that my wrists start to swell and hurt. I ended up in a rheumatologist office and she ran many labs. She told me point blank that she had no clue what I had. First she diagnosed me with lupus, then after about a year it was ra, then psoriatic arthritis. i have tried all the meds- vioxx, celebrex, plaquenil, enbrel, methotrexate, prednisone, arava I am 26 years old and in 5 years none of those have helped. On my last visit she informed me that my wbcs have been elevated at 15 for the past year and we would look into that if they were elevated at next appt. so i went to a new doctor and she diagnosed me with lymes. i started iv abx and am now on po ceftin. i am still in so much pain i can hardly walk- help me
Category: Health
Expert:  DR RANDALL replied 5 years ago.

GreetingsCustomer

I fear you may be in trouble.... Lyme disease is an excellent working diagnosis for your symptoms. If a PCR was done as your lab work then a positive test is very specific. But the problem I fear for you is the amount of time that has past. The diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease is in much debate.The term "chronic" may be confused with or interchangeable with the term "late". This means that the treatment for it is also hit or miss. I would stick with your current doctor she seems the better diagnostician.

You are not dying but the disease and the treatments are all going to make you feel lousy. What you need to do is seek out your own interdisciplinary team : Infectious disease, Rheumatology, and Physiatry (PM&R). Use them all to find the best direction for your care.

You also need to inform yourself. Websites such as this are not the place. Go to your hospital's library and start with this article:

• Feder HM Jr, Johnson BJ, O'Connell S, Shapiro ED, Steere AC, Wormser GP. A critical appraisal of "chronic Lyme disease." N Engl J Med. 2007;357:1422-1430.
  •  

Best of luck you have a long and difficult road ahead of you.

DR RANDALL, Doctor
    Experience: GENERAL SURGEON/SURGICAL INTENSIVIST

Nurse Laura,

If you are Ig-G positive for Borrelia burgdorferi then a PCR test confirms the diagnosis. The treatment for and the success with late term diagnosis is what is so difficult. PM&R doctors are very good with chronic pain syndromes. Some of them do not include this in their practice so you must ask, but they are very good at this.

Also try: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lymedisease.html#cat5

This site has lots of links.

Thank you for the accept