Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

my rib cage..extends around my body in a tight grip , back pain starts

Two and a half years ago a pain started on my rightside, I thought I had pulled a muscel. The pain is under my bust at the top of my ribcage, it then extends around my body in a tight grip, back pain starts. No pain killers get rid of it and the only relief I get is to stand up or lie down. Driving the car is not good the pain will start within 10 mins.. I have had a ultra sound scan, no sign of gall stones. My osteopath diognosed intercostal muscel strain and told me it would heal in time. But it hasn't. Any help with a diognosis would help. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

Your symptoms simulate the condition known as tietze syndrome where there is an inflammation of the costochondral cartilages of the upper front of the chest. It may take long time to heal. Sometimes local steroid injection and antiinflammatory or analgesic patch can be used. Sometimes intercostal nerve block may be needed. Blood test shows the signs of inflammation like increased CRP and ESR etc. You should consult your doctor for investigation and management.
If the tietze syndrome is excluded then the other possibility is the nerve pain which will be helped by nerve block too.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your recovery.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.