Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

My boyfriend is a chronic hepatitis b carrier. He goes for

Customer Question

My boyfriend is a chronic hepatitis b carrier. He goes for a check up every year where they test his blood, would he get tested for hiv routinely at this check up? I know that they did it when he first got diagnosed ten years ago but am not sure that they keep doing it every year.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
Hello

Greetings,

Does he have any symptom? What was the result of his last result?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No symptoms, I just want to know whether they would check this automatically every year for chronic hepatitis b carriers as they did do it when he was first diagnosed
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

If his first test was negative it isnot mandatory that they will do it routinely unless your boyfriend consents to doing it everytime . Please read this resources.

http://www.avert.org/hivtesting.htm#q19

http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?ss=15&doc_id=10765&nbr=&string=#s23

Hope this information will help you.

Regards.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does that mean that they would automatically ask him if he wants to do it every time he goes for the screening for the hepatitis? Or would he have to ask them for it?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
They will not automatically ask for it. It is asked in Genito urinary medicine clinics. Still consent is necessary.