drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

My girlfriend suffered from bulimia 8 years ago.About 2 years

My girlfriend suffered from bulimia 8 years ago.About 2 years after she recovered,she had unprotected sex,she wasn't on the pill and she didn't fall pregnant.Although it was the result they were looking for(not falling pregnant) it obviously raised the concern that she might be infertile. Thus,my question is,is it possible that she became infertile because of the eating disorder?
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 7 years ago.
Hello Customer!
Bulimia less commonly than anorexia can affect pituitary hormone levels to the point that a woman can stop menstruating. This is mostly from weight and body fat loss but can be due to the stress on the body of the disorder itself. If she is still getting regular periods then the infertility associated with the eating disorder is less likely. Extreme stress can contribute as well. Hormone levels like FSH, LH, estrogen, and progesterone will be the way to tell for sure. Technically infertility is 12 months with no pregnancy after unprotected sex so i would not be concerned with just the one episode. If she is indeed low on the blood tests indicating that she is not ovulating or cycling then there are treatments available that can correct this problem with supplementation.
Good Luck
Hope this helps!