Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

There is a test called the hiv proviral DNA by OCR quatitive test

Customer Question

There is a test called the hiv proviral DNA by OCR quatitive test that cliam it detects the virus at 14 days. Is this accurate
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
There are different tests that are used to confirm HIV. The HIV proviral DNA exam test for the actual HIV RNA to DNA structural change that occurs. This can be detected as early as 11 days, according to some labs. Other labs say anything before 28 days maybe unreliable. It can however tell you before the other tests can because it looks for HIV, not antibodies the conventional test look for which can take up to 6 months to show up.
The PCR test has an advantage of telling you early-on if you are positive. This will facilitate early treatment. However, a negative test cannot rule out infection. A negative test has to be followed up by an antibody test (again, that's the 6 month one).

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your care.

I've answered your question, kindly press 'ACCEPT' so that I may be paid for my work. This does NOT cost extra!

Follow-ups are always welcomed!

Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
If you need reiteration or a further explanation, feel free to ask.

I've answered your question, kindly press 'ACCEPT' so that I may be paid for my work. It does NOT cost extra!