Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have fibromyalgia, crohns disease, diverticulitis and all

Customer Question

I have fibromyalgia, crohn's disease, diverticulitis and all my life I have suffered from insomnia. I am in my 70th year and for the past month approximately, I am averaging 4-5 hours of sleep a night. The fibromyalia is now involving my entire body during the day - whereas previously it only affected me during the night. The crohn's disease pain occurs during the day.   Help!!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

What are the medications are you taking?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>medications are:</p><p> </p><p>Pentasa, Lyrica, Quinine, Flurazapam, Tylenol #3, Demerol 50mg</p>

I think you must be consulting a rheumatologist. Crohn's disease and fibromyalgia can be handled by the same medications, what we term as disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs). Since quinine is not effective, changing to sulfasalazine or other immuno modulators would be the choice. Mild physical therapy has definite role in fibromyalgia. Exercises or physical therapy does not have direct role in diverticulosis or diverticulitis. But good activity do help in every disease process.

For all those patients, who have insomnia, they need to change the sedatives in a cyclical fashion. This has an advantage of developing tolerance and habit forming to it. So getting an alternative prescription and stopping flurazepam can be considered by your physician with you feedback.

Gabapentin or pregabalin are the other medications which would be beneficial in your case, for control of pain of fibromyalgia, diverticulitis and Crohn's.

In the natural measures dietary modification is the best. Following can be tried;

1) High fiber diet

2) Low fat

3) Increased water intake

4) Avoiding nuts, seeds, corn, popcorn

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am seeing my family doctor on Tuesday Dec. 2nd. I shall print your info out and see what he has to say. He is always very helpful and caring so I think he will be very pleased with your answer. I am on a high fiber diet and I do watch the fat intake, I drink lots of water and I avoid nuts, seeds, corn and popcorn. I thank you for your feedback and I am looking forward to not lying awake at night. I would like to contact you one more time after I see my MD. The other Doctor is a gastroenteroloigist. I have only seen him twice - the last time was a month ago and he is supposedly scheduling me for a CAT Scan, however that has not happened yet. He seems to be on holidays two weeks out of each month. We do have a serious shortage of Doctors here in Canada. I will check back in with you on Tuesday P.M. if that is okay. Many Thanks

I would look forward to know what your doctor has to say. Please feel free to discuss further.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun