Dr. RayA
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine
12956727

Recently, I put on a perfume cream on both my face & han

Customer Question

Recently, I put on a perfume cream on both my face & hands. Later after work ( 12 hrs.)I washed my washed thoroghly and being stuffy I placed vicks salve on and around my nose. Since the my nose has a burning sensation and white light crust ( where the salve was applied) and and I have used vaseoline, and other creams to stop both the tightness, the redness, and soreness away..Yet, the white crust reappears bringing with it the above symptoms. I just finished reading about Shingles and now I'm worried.Should I go to theER
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 5 years ago.
Hi Kelley,
How long have you had your symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About a week...as I work for a hospital & preparing for a hospital Ball your assistance is crucial.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The most painful area is the section that divides my nosrils..It has a small paper cut...It looks like dried muscus if I don't put a soft
non -perfume cream on it.
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 5 years ago.
Hi Kelley,
While dermatologic problems are very difficult to diagnose non-visually, what you are describing does not sound like shingles. Instead it sounds like it may be a patch of impetigo, a bacterial skin infection with (usually) staph aureus or (less often) strep pyogenes. If this is the case, application of a topical antibiotic cream, such as muciprocin (avoid neosporin or other "triple antibiotics" since they can cause an allergic sensitivity in many people) should clear up the problem. While a trip to the ER isn't necessary for either of these conditions, being seen in your doctor's clinic, or if necessary, in urgent care, will help to ensure the correct diagnosis, get you the prescription for the medicine you need, and have you feeling and looking better as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks....however, I did go the Er ( I work there as well) and the diagnois was allergic dermatitis.I was given Methyl PreniSolone,Benadryl,and Famotidine( now this is for stomach ailments
I'm sure of )I will feel much better with using a cream but do I need a RX for the one you recommended? (Muciprcin)is there a generic brand?
Again Thanks:
Lois
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 5 years ago.
Hi Lois,
The patch that you are describing sounds atypical for allergic dermatitis, unless you've continued applying some allergen to the lower part of your nose, but if that is the case, then the Muciprocin won't be helpful. It is a topical antibiotic, and for allergic reactions, steroids (Prednisolone) and antihistamines (Benadryl and Famotidine) are the treatments of choice. Muciprocin isn't an over the counter medication, so it requires a prescription. I hope that your rash clears up quickly (hopefully before your event), and wish you the best of luck and health.