Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

For the last couple months Ive had a problem with my stomach

For the last couple months I've had a problem with my stomach becoming hard and distended after eating. The upper part of my stomach area, just below the rib cage protrudes and becomes painful for a period of time. I have to change positions and kind of stretch for awile until the pain subsides. I had a colonoscopy as well as endoscopy a couple years ago and everything was fine. I take wellbutrin, lexapro. Also, I was taking these Nature's Secret cleasning tablets for several months. I guess they weren't meant to take for more than 30 days and I didn't realize it. Any ideas?

Greetings.

Distension, blown up feeling, and hardness, immediately after eating points to stomach. So a upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and barium swallow is essential to ascertain the cause. As you mentioned, the cleansing tablets may be the culprit, and can affect the movements of the stomach. There is a condition called as gastroparesis (paralysis of stomach), in which stomach movements are hampered. This might be the causative. Read about it;

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/

But there can be other causes too, like growth in stomach, so getting the investigation as early as possible, is the norm for these kind of symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

What would be problems potentially caused from the cleansing tabs? What other symptoms would potentially be noticed from a stomach cancer? You didn't comment on the fact that I had the scopes and barium tesing a couple years ago. Also, how could that weight gain be incorporated into potential stomach problems.

No reflux, no problems with indigestion.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
gastroparesis does not seem to fit the sympXXXXX XXXXXst. no nausea, no weight loss, definitely no diabetes, not vomiting, etc.

The probable mechanism of action by cleansing tablets may be affection of the nerves which control the movements of the stomach and intestines. This is the reason of bloating feeling. In all likelihood the nerve affection should be reversible after a certain duration. The malignant growth/cancer, since you have increased your weight is unlikely. Weight loss is the most significant symptoms of stomach cancer. But there can be some muscular obstruction at the outlet (junction of the stomach and intestine). This can occur due to nerve paralysis of the stomach muscles. But since there is a sort of transit time prolongation, all the nutrient go in the intestines and do get absorbed. Thus no problem in overall health.

The endoscopies you had couple of years ago, are not very relevant in your situation. At that point of time they were normal. But situation can change in 2 years, even in six months. So there finding cannot remain valid for so long.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun