Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

This is kind of gross, but for some reason my tongue is kind

Customer Question

This is kind of gross, but for some reason my tongue is kind of yellowish, like it has a coating on it. I don't have a cold and no matter how much I brush my tongue, it doesn't go away. I did go to a doctor a while back for a persistent cough, the doctor looked at my tongue also. He said it looked like a kind of yeast infection, but still prescribed antibiotics for my cough. I explained that I was concerned that this would worsen the yeast infection, so he told me to eat lots of yogurt and gave me a single pill that he said would get rid of the yeast infection. Unfortunately neither worked and I continued to cough for about 6 weeks until it finally went away, but the yellow tongue is still there. Very gross. What do you recommend?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

dear theresa,

Thank you for writing Justanswer.

This is not as uncommon as you might think. In fact I just had another question about a yellow tongue two days ago.

It is common for the tongue to become discolored due to food, smoking and bacteria.

Does it go away at all when you brush your tongue, or is it that it always comes back?

Your problem is obviously not a yeast infection, because the yogurt, as well as the anti-fungal pill, which likely was what he gave you, would have cleared it up.

This article from the Mayo Clinic discusses "yellow tongue" in more depth:

They recommmend using a solution of hydrogen peroxide as a mouth rinse, as well as quitting smoking, if you smoke.

If you have questions or comments, please reply so that I or another expert can address them.