Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

Hi. I have pain in my abdomen, center below sternum with bloating

Hi. I have pain in my abdomen, center below sternum with bloating and discomfort around the belly button and on the left side.. for 3 months. Been tested a lot..Hyda scan 23%. All other gall bladder tests within normal limits including ct and ultrasound.

All blood work is ok but my ferritin level is up 750, and sugar was borderline. Been endo and I have Barretts esop (no cancer) and gastritis. Colonoscopy normal. GI doc thinks gall bladder is causing the dull ever present pains (3/10) the Primary is un-sure and the surgeon thinks it’s something else but will cut if pushed. I have to decide by Dec 3 what to do about the gall bladder. Any non binding advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Does food make your pain better or worse? I know you have had many tests done but you did not mention H.pylori. Were you tested for H. pylori? Also were your pancreatic enzymes normal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Eating makes me feel a little worse but the pain still is present hours after eating. H. Pylori and pancrreatic enzimes normal. I did test positive for blood with the occult prior to my colonoscopy and the recent occult tests are not in yet. It feels like I have been punched in the stomach... for 3 months. The term gastritis was mentioned but the endo showed nothing remarkable.

Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. This is a very perplexing case. First of all there is no evidence of gallbladder disease with a normal Ultrasound and CAT scan. Also you state the pain is on the left side of your abdomen which would be the opposite obviously of your gallbladder. Your pancreatic enzymes are normal and that would tend to exclude the pancreas. You were tested for H. pylori which is often a cause of gastritis and you state that that test was normal also. You did state that you had gastritis on an endoscopy and that could be accounting for your pain and discomfort. The location is right and one would expect some improvement with the acid blocker that you are taking. The colonoscopy was normal so that would eliminate any inflammatory or malignant disease. I would suggest that you repeat H. pylori test as there can be false negatives and that maybe the cause of the gastritis. If that is the case then it would require antibiotics to treat it. That would be one thought. The other concern is the elevated ferritin that usually goes along with hemochromatosis or porphyria. These are relatively rare diseases and I doubt that you have them but because the ferritin is elevated you might want to have your gastroenterologist obtain iron levels and a urine collection to rule out porphyria. I hope I have given you some ideas to consider and I hope you feel better.

I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this.
If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. If you are not satisfied, please ask for further clarification of your original question. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States