Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

hello i have be feeling really weak in the arms and legs and

hello i have be feeling really weak in the arms and legs and i dont have the shakes or dont have sweaty palms or feet and sumtime i feel i cant breath probely from time to time.. can you please tell me what could be wrong with me as my doctor says i have anxitey an d also about 7 weeks ago he put me on avanza and it is not helping at all and the other day we weree out for tea and for sum reason i get so so weak in the arms it was not funny.. as i am so so so scared that there is more wrong with me then anxitey and i think there is sumthing coming out of the shower water that is bad for my health as i have this one spot that rust keeps coming back in and i think that is maybe because sumthing is comming out of the water and could be harming me in sum wqay with the weakness in my arms and legs please help me asap thanks tesa...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Weakness in the arms and legs are symptoms that can be seen in panic attacks, or anxiety attacks.

Do you have specific asymmetry to your numbness or weakness, as in one specific arm that is weak or numb? Or is it the entire body?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the weakness is in my whole body both arms and legs and i am not in and anxitey attack or panic attack so what is wrong with me i am so so so scared
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you have trouble walking?

Any numbness?

Any trouble with your coordination? Balance?

I have been reading through your previous questions.

It seems that you may be feeling "symptoms" of weakness, but just the sensations of weakness, as true weakness would prevent you from walking around normally and doing normal activities. The sensation of weakness, when you are truly not weak, can be seen in anxiety disorders, and it appears that you have had similar symptoms before.

The worrisome cause of weakness, such as from a stroke would not tend to affect the entire body, as it would tend to affect one side or another. Problems with the spinal cord as well, would tend to affect specific nerves, or the lower half of the body, depending on the location of the problem. So this does not appear to be the problem in your case.

Overall weakness can also come from electrolyte disorders, poor nutrition, or chronic disease conditions such as with the heart or lungs (but you are too young for these to be realistic possibilities). Given that you have had many recent diagnostic tests (presumably also with bloodwork), it is unlikely that these are a cause for your weakness.

Should your doctor feel that you are truly exhibiting weakness (and you would know this if you were having cramping or difficulty walking, for example) then testing can be done, including a EMG test, which can look at the nerves and the muscles to see if there is a problem causing weakness.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why are you asking me all these questions and what do you think is wrong with me...
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
I edited the answer above; reading through your previous questions, I don't believe there is anything physically wrong, but of course, testing would be done if you exhibited signs of objective weakness.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so u think i could have that like a stroke or sumthing else wrong..
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
No.

I don't think you had a stroke, for the reasons I mentioned above. A stroke that caused weakness would cause signficant weakness, and only on one side of the body.

Weakness that affects both sides of the body and arms and legs equally cannot be explained easily by some problem within the brain.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hello what is wrong with my brain?? and is to tablets a nite ok what the doctor put me on and that is not a overdose at all and why do i get this tingling feeling in the head sumthings and am i going to die from this at all..
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
No, you will not die from this.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your brain.

It seems as if your anxiety is making you feel this way. If your doctor put you on two tablets at night, then it should be appropriate for you.

Tingling sensations in the head can be due to anxiety as well.