Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I am trying to find a doctor that will prescribe oxycodone

Customer Question

I am trying to find a doctor that will prescribe oxycodone or hydrocodone for shoulder pain and knee pain. My physician wants to put me on Ultram which I tried but it seems to react with my 60 mg of Paxil a day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for writing JA with your question.

First of all, in case you were unaware, the physicians on this web site do not prescribe medications. It is actually illegal as well as unethical to prescribe medications to an individual without in person examination and history. This is even moreso true with controlled substances such as oxycodone and hydrocodone.

It is true that Ultram or tramadol has some affinity with SSRI's, it increases Seretonin in some manner (I'd have to review the literature to remember the exact mechanism, but this is a fact).

If you are having difficulty finding proper pain control for your shoulder and knee pain, you may want to consider a pain clinic. They prescribe medications but also work with you on other methods you may have been unaware of to help decrease the pain.

This web site has a search engine to help you find on in your area, and also provides information about what to expect at a pain clinic:

http://www.pain.com/sections/consumers/pain_clinics/

I hope this helps. If you have questions or comments, please reply so that I or another expert can address them.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The answer was no more than what I already new. I didn't expect a prescription or anything like that, but where I live you can't get a doctor to right a narcotic prescription it seems. There is such a great believe that your life is ruined once you take one. They are willing to give me the Ultram which is addictive, just not a narcotic. The side effects are just as bad as narcotics and it makes me ill with my Paxil. The Paxil, which is non-addictive, is something I can't seem to quit taking. Evertime I try to ween off of it I have terrible dreams and become so depressed and anxious I can't hardly function again until I start it again. I could up the dose of Ibuprofen I take. Maybe my kidneys can take it. I am not suppose to take it though because of my high blood pressure, which by the way the narcotics decrease as a side effect.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for accepting my answer, but you sound like you are not happy with it. Can you clarify what you want to know? "I am trying to find a doctor to prescribe oxycodone is a statement", not a question, so I had to guess to give you an answer.

The thing about narcotics and ultram, is that they work for awhile, and then they stop working unless you keep upping the dose. This is due to the tolerance that no one has been able to prevent from occurring.That is why they don't work good for long term pain.

Paxil is known to be addictive now. It is recommended that you taper slowly, and most doctors will supervise a taper if the patient is discussing their plans with them. They are not addictive in the same way as an opiate, because you do not build a tolerance and don't have to keep upping the dose, like you must with an opiate, but is addictive in that you cannot stop it "cold turkey". You must ween it down or rebound depression worse than the original depression is likely.

What is typicall misunderstood about depression, is that it is a physical disorder. So unless your body starts making more seretonin itself, then you do need help with it forever. There are ways to increase the possibility of your body making seretonin, which is only partially scientificaly studied, but said to work by some. That is eating foods or substances that have the precursors of seretonin, so that at least your body can make enough seretonin, which it won't be able to do if you do not have enough in your diet.

Opiates do decrease blood pressure, but only until you build up tolerance, then they don't anymore. Medications (and supplements) that decrease blood pressure don't stop working after a while due to tolerance (there are always those exceptions of course when certain indivduals seem to have tolerances to certain drugs like antidepressants and blood pressure medications, but this is not typical for everyone that takes them, like it is for opiates).