Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

I( 59 year old female) had a colonoscopy done in May and since

I( 59 year old female) had a colonoscopy done in May and since then I have had the need to wear a pad due to some pasty leakage. It happens without urge or my knowledge and without a pad can be most embarassing. There were a couple of small polups removed which were benign. Also, what is sphincterotomy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
do you have severe constipation and anal fissures? what did the doctor say about your condition..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
neither
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
OK. SPHINCTEROTOMY IS THE PROCEDURE IN WHICH OUTER MUSCLES OF THE ANAL SPHINCTER ARE CUT WHICH RELAXES THE MUSCLE SPASM.IT IS DONE FOR ANAL FISSURES . WELL IT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE INCONTINENCE WHICH IS CAUSED BY DAMAGE TO THE NERVE SUPPLYING THE AREA. YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO THE STOMACH DOCTOR AND HAVE AN EXAM DONE TO LOOK AT SPHINCTER TONE . IT IS NOT ONE OF THE COMMON COMPLICATIONS OF SCOPE AND NEEDS TO BE WORKED UP.
FOLLOW THE LINKS FOR DETAILS ON SPHINCTEROTOMY AND FECAL INCONTINENCE.

http://www.debakeydepartmentofsurgery.org/home/content.cfm?proc_name=sphincterotomy&content_id=274

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/356/16/1648.pdf