Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Good Evening, I have actually 2 questions. My father had a

Good Evening, I have actually 2 questions. My father had a stroke in Sept and passed away in Oct. For the last week of his life he had septicemia and pneumonitis. The death certificate lists these but says that he died of natural causes. 1) could those 2 items have caused his death and 2) could he have received septicemia from something done wrong at the hospital? Thank you.

I am sorry to hear about the loss.

As for your questions-
1) Yes, those two conditions could have caused his death.
2) Yes, it is possible he may have received septicemia due to some negligence at the hospital. But the most likely scenario would be that he first got pneumonitis due to stroke (aspiration due to loss of consciousness or paralysis of muscles), which may have progressed to septicemia. In which case septicemia causing death would be considered as death due to natural causes.

Dr Singh
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for this answer and for your sympathies.

This was helpful in understanding what may have happened.