Dr AW
Dr AW, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with hospital experience as SHO in a wide variety of fields
12248854

herpes and you havent had an outbreak in years..gonorrhea..recurrence

I have a series of questions. If you have herpes and you haven't had an outbreak in years, and you catch gonorrhea, would it be possible for a recurrence? How frequent would someone experience symptoms (i.e. painful blisters, bleeding) if left untreated? What is the likelihood of HIV infection, if you have an outbreak 8 weeks after infection, and you tested negative at 6 weeks after exposure? Would an outbreak occur sooner if there was HIV exposure?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr AW replied 5 years ago.

Herpes can remain dormant for a number of years and may or may not reactivate.

Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection and is treatable with antibiotics. It doesn't become dormant and reactivate in the same way, but it is possible of course to reaquire it. Sometimes someone may carry gonorrhea without realising though as they may not have symptoms. Gonorrhoea infection would have no impact on possibility of reactivation of herpes and any reactivation at that time would most likely be coincidental.

The symptoms of gonorrhoea vary in different people about 10 % of men and 50 % of women will not have any symptoms, men may have discharge from the penis, tenderness of testicles and prostate, burning and frequency of urination, irritation and discharge from the anus. These symptoms appear most comonly 24 hrs to 2 weeks after point of infection but may not occur till a long time after this if at all. Left untreated these symptoms may be continuous and result in more serious infection of prostate and testicles and lead to infertility in both sexes.

The relevance of the outbreak occurring 8 weeks after infection does not change the statistical likelihood of HIV infection, there is also no evidence that an outbreak would occur sooner in HIV exposure. You will have the same risk as anyone else. It is very sensible to have had the STD complete screening which should be repeated 3 -4 months after point of the incident to be sure about HIV negative status.

If possible contacting your partner for that incident and finding out their HIV status may provide useful information, also advising them you found out you had gonorrhea after your encounter and advising them to be checked out. Also any other partners you may have had sex with before treatment and after the time you think you acquired the infection, it is advisable that they be contacted too.

I hope this information is useful, feel free to reply for any clarification

Dr AW, Doctor
Experience: MBBS with hospital experience as SHO in a wide variety of fields