Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States

Moved from Australia to Sweden (for a visit) I have constipation and diahrea

Customer Question

Since I have arrived here in sweden, I have found that I have constipation then once thats fixed...i get diahrea...then after a while i have constipation again. It keeps going in circles like that. My stomach makes noises very loud ones when im not even hungry. My stomach also feels bloated. I actually eat healthier here in sweden compared to Australia. My stomach has not been normal in the past 5 months since I arrived. I do drink water and juice (not much soft drink). I do go for walks everyday but i dont do any other exercise. I have also noticed that my tongue is white now, and it has white on the sides that i cannot scrub off with my tooth brush (i use mouth wash). I am not on any other kind of medication and dont have any health problems. What i dont understand is that even though im healthier having all these problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thankk you
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Diarrhea alternating with constipation is a classic symptom of irritablel bowel syndrome. Following is my recommendation for how to take care of IBS. I do not know why you have the white material on your tongue. You would have to see a doctor to see if that is a normal finding or an infection in your case.

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion of organic disease when there are no alarm symptoms of bleeding or weight loss.

Dairy, celiac and infectious diseases should be eliminated as well as colorectal cancer.

Reassurance and explanation is important. One may have diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant, or combination of the two.

Anti-spasmotics ( Hyoscine) and Imodium may be tried in diarrhea predominant. Low doses of tricyclic antidepressives may be tried. Peppermint oil is associated with relief of symptoms in the treatment of IBS as well as probiotics.

A successful patient–physician relationship is essential to the treatment
of IBS and has been associated with improved health status and increased efficiency of care.

A significant number of IBS patients report meal-related
symptoms. The interaction of food with physiologic disturbances in the gut in IBS patients is not well understood.?Avoidance of food intolerances in IBS patients can sometimes provide symptom relief. Avoid any carbonated beverages, any foods that could produce gas such as broccoli, cabbage, beans, etc. Small frequent meals rather than three large meals a day may also be helpful. Over-the-counter gas medications that contains simethicone may also be helpful.

Behavioral and psychological treatments, such as cognitive behavioral therapy and hypnotherapy, have been shown to be efficacious in the management of IBS.

Here is a very useful website:

Please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your advice, I will definately try your recommendation and see how it goes.

thank you again
grately appreciated
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome.