Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a tremor in my right hand, irregular heartbeats/palpitations

I have a tremor in my right hand, irregular heartbeats/palpitations especially at night, chest pain on my left side, a cough that makes me get sick at times, edema in my lower extremities or feet, extreme anxiety and panic disorder, bladder incontinence, swooshing noises coming from my body or head when I get up or arise. What could this be indicative of? I have seen a cardiologist who suggested that I have an enlargement on my right side of my heart with something funny going with the valve. I have seen a pulmonary specialist who stated that there is borderline interruption of the flow of oxygen.

Greetings.

What did your echocardiography show? Were lung function tests or lung scan done?

What are the medications you are taking?

Since how long are these symptoms?

Do you have diabetes and high blood pressure?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

One doctor examined the readings and stated that my heart was fine, another suggested an enlargement of the heart on the right side. He also noted that there was something funny about the valve and suggested an MRI of the heart to get a clearer picture or reading.

I am on albuterol, naproxen, oxybutin, fluorexide or prozac, mucinex (over the counter) and on several vitamins for fibromyalgia. I have on pills for blood pressure or edema.

I was also diagnosed with staph on the hand,(not MERSA) several months ago and was worried that it could affect my heart or lungs. I have shortness of breath and heart palpitations or heart arrthymia. I also had rheumatic fever at age 8 and was on penicillin tablets for ten years until age 18. The symptoms begin at night and run throughout the day. It has been going on for several months with the edema or swelling in the legs the past three years.

I also had a blood clot in the leg removed three years ago when I had the fractures.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I also was told that it could be the start of a disease so I need to know if the tremors could possibly be related or if high anxiety could cause the tremor in my right hand.

I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure.

Greetings.

All of your symptoms and past history of rheumatic fever in childhood is more suggestive of valvular disease of the heart and associated right ventricle enlargement. With a family history of congestive heart failure (CHF), this further substantiates the CHF. This heart affection can secondarily affect the lungs. MRSA is unlikely to affect your heart and lung and being responsible for these symptoms. People who had past history of lung affection like walking pneumonitis, they do have decrease in lung functions. The respiratory disorders like bronchitis can be associated with the heart disease but your present clinical manifestations are more of related to CHF. Tremors seems to be more related to the anxiety and your neurological examination in all likelihood should be normal.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any direct test that could clearly indicate that I have CHF or heart disease and if so, how will this affect my life expectancy? Does CHF reduce or shorten my life span?

Proper medications like beta blockers, digitalis and frusemide etc will keep the things under very good control and life expectancy is near normal and would not shorten it. Echocardiography is good enough for direct evidence of CHF.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun