Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am having swelling on one side in my pubic area and it is

Customer Question

I am having swelling on one side in my pubic area and it is painful to the touch. The swelling seems to be spreading. This all started after a bowel movement 2 days ago. I am 15 weeks pregnant. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

What is the exact location? What is the size of swelling? Is there any redness of the skin and area is slightly warm?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure what it's called, but it is above the clitoris where the pubic hair is. It is slightly red from what I can tell. It is swollen to not quite twice the size of normal and the pain is spreading down towards my vagina and up towards my lower abdomen. I can't tell if it is any more warm than normal in that area. The way it looks on that side is similar to the way it looked down there after I had my first child.

Hello Meredith,

This looks an hair follicle infection. Boil and carbuncle are the other possibilities. You can try the following;

1) Warm sitz bath; three to four times a day

2) Application of the neosporin or betadine ointment (OTC, don't need prescription)

3) You can take Tylenol in pregnancy; this helps in reducing pain and inflammation.

If these measures do not help, you would need to go to an urgent care clinic for the prescription of the antibiotic.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would there be any connection between me straining with a stool and this occuring? The pain started immediately after my bowel movement. The next day was spent laying on the couch due to a headache and just feeling terrible. It's hard to tell if any of this is connected since I'm pregnant and my body has been doing strange things anyway.
Thank you

Hi Meredith,

This should not be connected with the straining. The straining may just made it predominant in symptoms.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun