Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have tired, achy upper legs by my thighs for more than 3

I have tired, achy upper legs by my thighs for more than 3 weeks now. Before that I noticed I had itchy skin with rashes. A few days ago, I started to have a sore, ticklish throat and started to cough which is worst at night. What could be the problems and how do I address them. Thank you.
This seems like a viral infection. You can usually treat this at home, it generally subsides in 4-5 days. You can try the following treatment:

Rest.
Plenty of fluids.
Tylenol 500 mg twice daily for headache and bodyache and fever..

For cough,

OTC antitussives: Brand names - Triaminic Cold & Cough, Robitussin Maximum Strength, Vicks 44 Cough Relief.
Logenges: such Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief.

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

However, if you develop fever of more than 102 degrees, or you have any other symptoms like severe throat pain or abdominal pain, you will need to see a doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My cough lasted more than 2 months last year so it seems to me that there is more to it . Also, can you respond to my leg pain problems. What is the cause? What kind of specialist should I see? Thanks.
Since you had such a long lasting cough, it could be possible that you have some chronic pulmonary problems like bronchitis. Aching in the calves could be due to peripheral neuropathy, vascular insufficiency, etc.

You should see an Internal Medicine specialist for this. You can also consult with your family physician. If necessary, he will refer you to an internal medicine speicalist.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.