Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

My sternum has enlarged in size over the past few months so

My sternum has enlarged in size over the past few months so that now it is actually noticable through the skin like a knot. My family physician says it is just a large sternum. On Nov. 25th, 2008, I had an x-ray and the report indicates normal. Occasionally, I have a very mild pain in the area and if I press on it at the top I have pain that lasts for sometimes a number of minutes before it subsides. I would appreciate any input from you. I think there is something going on that is not normal. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.

A likely cause fr your symptoms is mild costochondritis which is the inflammation of cartilage surrounding the sternum. The inflammation can occur due to viral infection or immune disease and can cause swelling in the area. A CBC blood test can be done for the evaluation. In most cases, the disease heals by itself in few weeks and only pain medication is required.

Bone marrow disease can also cause pain upon pressing the sternum, because sternum is rich in bone marrow. Again this can be evaluated with a CBC test. A bone marrow examination will only be required in case of abnormal CBC test.

Dr Singh