Dr Campen
Dr Campen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

I have a hard lump in my armpit that is red and causing pain.

I have a hard lump in my armpit that is red and causing pain. is this something I should get checked out? And what could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Campen replied 5 years ago.
If it is red and painful it is probably an infection rather than a mass. It may be a skin infection or infected hair gland. Put warm compresses on it. If it gets bigger, more painful, or doesn't go away in 4-5 days you need to be seen by a doctor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is about the size of a dime right now. except instead of flat it is a hard ball...how big should I let it get before getting it checked out? I have been using warm compresses about 3 times a day for 4 days...should I use them more often? Because I am a single mother in school and don't have insurance to pay for a Dr so I don't want to go unless I have to...
Expert:  Dr Campen replied 5 years ago.
It may also be an inflammed lymph node. Do you have any scratches on your hand or arm? I would continue with the compresses for 3-4 more days. I am not concerned with the fact that it is raised like a ball. That tells me even more that it is an infection or lymph node.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I do have 3 scratches on my upper arm from my dog..the same arm as the infamous lump! Thank you for your help! I will definitely use this site again and tell my family and friends about it!
Expert:  Dr Campen replied 5 years ago.
Best of luck to you. Put antibiotic ointment on the scratches. The lump is likely an inflammed lymph node and will go away in about 1 week. Take Tylenol for pain.
Dr Campen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician