Dr Campen
Dr Campen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

I have a hard lump in my armpit that is red and causing pain.

I have a hard lump in my armpit that is red and causing pain. is this something I should get checked out? And what could it be?
If it is red and painful it is probably an infection rather than a mass. It may be a skin infection or infected hair gland. Put warm compresses on it. If it gets bigger, more painful, or doesn't go away in 4-5 days you need to be seen by a doctor
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is about the size of a dime right now. except instead of flat it is a hard big should I let it get before getting it checked out? I have been using warm compresses about 3 times a day for 4 days...should I use them more often? Because I am a single mother in school and don't have insurance to pay for a Dr so I don't want to go unless I have to...
It may also be an inflammed lymph node. Do you have any scratches on your hand or arm? I would continue with the compresses for 3-4 more days. I am not concerned with the fact that it is raised like a ball. That tells me even more that it is an infection or lymph node.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I do have 3 scratches on my upper arm from my dog..the same arm as the infamous lump! Thank you for your help! I will definitely use this site again and tell my family and friends about it!
Best of luck to you. Put antibiotic ointment on the scratches. The lump is likely an inflammed lymph node and will go away in about 1 week. Take Tylenol for pain.