Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

I have a lump in the middle of my chest where my breastbone

Customer Question

I have a lump in the middle of my chest where my breastbone is I am a male, I have recently had chest exrays nand a heart catherization, nobody told me that the found anything. what do you think it is
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

Has this been present a long time? Is it painful?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, it jsut showed up within the last couple of months. I am 47 and have some stomach issues
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the heart catherization came out completely normal
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
hello,

frequently the breastbone or sternum has a bony prominence at the bottom. This is usually obvious from an early age. Occasionally when a person loses weight this prominence becomes more obvious. Apparently you have developed this recently so I would think it was not part of the sternum. If it is soft it may represent a small hernia in the abdominal wall or if it is actually a lump or a mass then it should be evaluated by your doctor. I do not think it has anything to do with your cardiac catheterization nor do I think it has to do with your stomach in terms of a gastritis or ulcer. If it bothers you you should have it checked by someone who can do appropriate tests and possibly x-rays. I'm sorry I can't give you more definitive information but without seeing it and examining the lump it is impossible to be certain.

Please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
only when I push on it, I just do not ever remember it being there before, I did the hydro ballon test about a year ago and they said I have a bacteria overgrowth in my stomach, Do you think it is back
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

I am assuming that you are talking about H. Pylori. It can recur and it might be accounting for your upset stomach problems. This bacteria would not however account for the lump you feel in your chest.