Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I have been experiencing tingling in the scrotum on and off

I have been experiencing tingling in the scrotum on and off for 2-3 months. The tingling is intense for 2-3 days each month and then becomes milder or disappears but reappears immediately if I have any anxiety. When it is intense there is reddening of the same patch of skin on the scrotum. At the same time my partner has been suffering tingling/burning pains in the ovarian/lower pelvic area a couple of days after each of her last periods, for 2-3 days each time. After one she had two small insect bite type sores appear, one on each upper thigh. These did not blister or burst. She is having a bout of pain in that area now but there are no 'bites' yet. The first time we had this we each had a temprature. Symptoms are shorter less each time. I am concerned that I have herpes and have passed it to her. I know the symptoms are not classic herpes but I think they could be a mild form. I can't see any other explanation. My partner is mid-forties but I don't menopause is involved.
trevor,

If your blood test for herpes was negative, then you do not have herpes. Although symptoms for herpes may vary, the blood test is usually quite accurate. If you have not had blood tests for herpes, then please get a test now.

If you do not have herpes, then the most likely cause of the tingling as well as redness of the skin is irritation of the nerve of that area. The redness is likely to be due to dilation of the blood vessels enervated by that nerve.

The nerve can get irritated either due to conditions like diabetic neuropathy, vitamin B deficiency or due to pinching of the nerve at any site. The fact that your partner also gets pain in the lower abdomen could be a coincidence.

I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Blood tests aside (we were examined not tested), would you agree that herpes is the most likely explanation?

Yes, your symptoms are most likely to be due to herpes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you - I have found it difficult to get a medical professional to tell me straight. It's bad news, but I suspected it and at least can plan around it. My main concern is that my partner's pains discomfort should not be prolonged or severe - is there a good chance that they will be less frequent and annoying in the near future?
Yes, in time the symptoms of herpes tend to become less. In fact they may dissappear for months altogether only to flare up again if the immune system gets depressed due to any reason - stress, a simple respiratory tract infection etc.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
And, if you'll permit a final question - is it possible I could have been carrying this dormant for nearly 20 years and it has now suddenly become activated, due to stress?
Yes, this is possible.