Dr. RayA
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine
12956727

I have a (hump) bone this is sticking out on the side of my

Customer Question

I have a (hump) bone this is sticking out on the side of my foot. The right foot sticks out more than the left foot. The right foot which has a bigger hump has a tendency to hurt in some of my shoes. Any thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for writing Justanswer with your questin.

Where is this on your foot? Is it near the base of the large toe on each foot? If not, please describe where this is.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's on the side of my foot. It's postiioned between of bottom of my little toe and the heel of my foot.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.
I will have to opt out. I will see if we have an orthopedist. I could have given you some suggestions regarding a bunion, but this I am unfamiliar with. Hopefully we will have some one hear, but if we don't, I'd suggest seeing an orthopedic physician or a podiatrist, which you may know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So will my payment be refunded since you were unable to answer my question?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.
I opted out to let someone else answer your question. Although this is an abnormal finding and you need to see a podiatrist.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How soon will someone else answer my question.
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bfw,
What you are describing sounds most likely to be a bone spur. Bunions are a similar development, but occur on the medial (big toe) side of the foot. Bone spurs can develop almost anywhere on the foot. They are often a reaction to pressure or the result of an arthritic change near a joint. The bone growth itself is not painful, but it can cause pressure on the soft tissues around it (especially when wearing shoes, as you mentioned). They aren't dangerous and don't require treatment unless they are causing discomfort.

Treatment of symptoms normally includes rest (including removing pressure from the area), ice, stretching, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxin. Changing shoes or adding padding or a shoe insert such as a heel cup or orthotic may help. If this conservative home treatment isn't controlling your discomfort, you can talk with your doctor about getting a corticosteroid injection at the painful area to decrease the pain and inflammation of the soft tissues next to the bone spur.

If none of these treatments is helping, the bone spurs themselves are treated with surgical removal.
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine