Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States

I recently had blood tests, my ast(sgot) was 52 and my alt(sgpt)

I recently had blood tests, my ast(sgot) was 52 and my alt(sgpt) was 53. My doctor says I and my liver is fine, however after reading a few articles I think there maybe some concerns.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

What other tests have been done on the liver? For example hepatitis test?

Are you overweight?

Do you have diabetes? How old are you?

Do you know the upper limit of normal for your laboratory for these two tests?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no test for hepatitis.

I am not overweight.

I am not diabetic.

upper limit for ast=37

upper limmit foralt+53

Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
one more- alcohol?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I do drink more than 4, 12 oz cans of beer per day.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

I am glad that I asked you that final question. Certainly the amount of beer that you drink every day could cause that slight elevation and liver function tests. With this in mind it would not be necessary to undergo further studies to rule out hepatitis or other problems. What I would suggest that you do is to abstain from drinking alcohol for approximately 30-60 days and then repeat the liver tests and then if they returned to normal then you can be certain that they were secondary to the alcohol. If they don't return to normal after abstaining then you should have further blood tests to rule out other abnormalities. I hope you are able to follow this recommendations liver function tests.

I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this.
If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) so I can get credit for my work. Please take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which is helpful to me. If you are not satisfied, please ask for further clarification of your original question. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry.