Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

where can I get nitroglycerin cream

where can I get nitroglycerin cream
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for writing Justanswer with your question.

Nitroglycerin cream requires a prescription. Once you see a doctor for prescription you can buy this at any pharmacy, including online pharmacies.

I hope this is what you were referring to. If you have questions or comments please reply so that I can address them.

Susan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My doctor is not farmilar with this cream and need information how to write the prescription and what stores to purchase it at.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

He/she must be very young!

This link displays the different types of nitroglycerin topical, including creams.

http://www.drugs.com/cons/nitroglycerin-ointment.html

The explanation on how to use it is on this page as well, and the directions for nitroglycerin ointment are as follows:

For Angina: 15 to 30 mg (about one to two inches squeezed from tube) every 6 to 8 hours.

Nitroglycerin is more commonly used "these days" in a pre-made patch, were the messy cream and paper is no longer required. But, we do still this used. It can be adjusted more easily without having to get a completely different type of patch, so that can be an advantage.

So, your doctor will find detailed information on the link I gave above, as well as this will be in a PDR, which usually every doctor has.

Usually it is simply written: nitroglycerin cream, (and then the specific directions).

Again, it is available in any pharmacy.

Susan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you know of a store to purchase the cream? I have called several and they do not stock the cream.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.
Where do you live? Might need to call it ointment, but tell me where you live and I might be able to help
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live in dallas tx
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

By the way, the trade names of the ointment are Nitrobid and Nitrol

I have found some websites. Sometimes you can order next day delivery, but usually at least get the medication in 2 to 3 days:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxdNitro-Bid_333181_sespider/nitro_bid/nitro_bid.htm

You may be able to buy it locally at Walgrens. At least the website advertizes it:

http://www.walgreens.com/library/finddrug/druginfo.html?particularDrug=Nitro-Bid&searchChar=N

This should help but let me know if you have any other questions.

Susan