Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

where can I get nitroglycerin cream

where can I get nitroglycerin cream
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for writing Justanswer with your question.

Nitroglycerin cream requires a prescription. Once you see a doctor for prescription you can buy this at any pharmacy, including online pharmacies.

I hope this is what you were referring to. If you have questions or comments please reply so that I can address them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My doctor is not farmilar with this cream and need information how to write the prescription and what stores to purchase it at.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

He/she must be very young!

This link displays the different types of nitroglycerin topical, including creams.

The explanation on how to use it is on this page as well, and the directions for nitroglycerin ointment are as follows:

For Angina: 15 to 30 mg (about one to two inches squeezed from tube) every 6 to 8 hours.

Nitroglycerin is more commonly used "these days" in a pre-made patch, were the messy cream and paper is no longer required. But, we do still this used. It can be adjusted more easily without having to get a completely different type of patch, so that can be an advantage.

So, your doctor will find detailed information on the link I gave above, as well as this will be in a PDR, which usually every doctor has.

Usually it is simply written: nitroglycerin cream, (and then the specific directions).

Again, it is available in any pharmacy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you know of a store to purchase the cream? I have called several and they do not stock the cream.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.
Where do you live? Might need to call it ointment, but tell me where you live and I might be able to help
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in dallas tx
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

By the way, the trade names of the ointment are Nitrobid and Nitrol

I have found some websites. Sometimes you can order next day delivery, but usually at least get the medication in 2 to 3 days:

You may be able to buy it locally at Walgrens. At least the website advertizes it:

This should help but let me know if you have any other questions.