Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I am visiting my sister who has a 5 week old baby. I just

I am visiting my sister who has a 5 week old baby. I just found out that I was exposed to strep throat on sunday night. I am wondering if it would be best to leave the residence in order to protect the baby? or if it matters since I have already been at their house since then

Hello Renee!

The good thing is that infants are born with some natural immunities from there mother, which help to protect them. It is not necessary to leave the residence, however, I recommend that you wear a mask at this time if you hold or are near the baby, to prevent passing any airborne germs. It is most possible that you don't have strep, but I am glad that you are being cautious. Wash your hands well, before holding the baby and wear a mask. Be aware if you have a sore throat or a cough, because then you can have a throat culture taken to be sure.

Good luck and enjoy the little one!

Terry