Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Symptoms spreading red rashy bumps with black dots around

Symptoms: spreading red rashy bumps with black dots around pubic area. They burn and itch. headaches, mild fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, loss the will to live, lymph nodes swollen (back and groin tender feeling). flu like symptoms. Bumps look like scabies? but has black spots on them like mold. what do i have?

Thanks for approaching justAnswer with your concern. Please provide the following info so that I can assist you better.

1. How long have you been having the rashes, fever and other symptoms?
  2. Any unprotected sexual contact recently?
  3. Are the rashes on one side of the pubic area or all around?
  4. Can you post a picture?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Here is how to post a pic:

1. First Step is to save the pic to your computer and then reduce the size of the pic to 'web large' size in microsoft picture manager(640 x 480)

2. Then save it onto the desktop.

3. Click the green tree > Click Browse> Click Browse again> choose the pic>Click OK(this is important) > Click Insert.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1. The rash started about a week ago in between my rectum and testes. I believe its called the taint. I thought it was just a itchy rash that will go away. But it worsen over time. The red rash started to have bumps. Then the next night, black dots. Then it has reach to my penis.
2. No i have had no unprotected sex before the rash. About 1 month without sex. But i had a bad cold that weakened my immune system. I also drank alot of alcohol which contribute to my weakened immune system a week before the rash.
3. Its so strange that you ask that question because know I have notice that they are on one side. Its all on my left side and a big sack has form where the rash originally appeared rectum area. I cannot really sit. its very uncomfortable.
4. I will try to post a picture but im confused on how to do it. so can i email them to you or is there better way to post the picture? I think if you see them you can better diagnose me.

Pls send the pic to [email protected]

They will post it.

Anyway, from your description, I have reached a diagnosis. The picture should confirm it.

What you have is Herpes zoster or Shingles.

It is caused by the reactivation of Chicken pox virus which remains in a dormant stage within the nerve cells and come out along the skin supplied by a nerve branch. This is why it is one sided usually. It could cause severe pain and burning sensations. Some individuals, especially those above 40 years could experience pain in the affected area long after the rash is gone(post herpetic neuralgia).

Treated early(i.e, within 72 hours of the rash), Herpes zoster can be controlled with antiviral medications like acyclovir, famcyclovir or valacyclovir. After this period, as in your case, these medications are not going to be of much help.

Here is what you can do now, if you are not in a position to see a doctor immediately:

1. Apply Silver Sulfadiazine cream thrice daily to the rashes. This will dry the lesions within a week.
  2. Take Ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily for the pain and swelling.
  3. If there is sign of secondary bacterial infection in the area, you may need prescription antibiotics.

More on How To Manage Shingles

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WOW! Youre a genius Dr Hanish Babu! You can even diagnose me over the internet. Amazing. Thank you very much for all your help. I think a picture is no longer needed. Again thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a wonderful doctor!